Most dining tables are made to standard measurements, as is true of most other furniture. Styles may vary, but upon measuring you will find that there isn’t that much of a difference in dining table height.
Several factors can help you determine which standard dining room table measurements are suitable for your home. First, how big of an area do you have at your disposal? How many people do you plan to seat around your dining table? The shape of your dining table may also be a consideration in determining the best size.
While industry standards can serve as a recommendation and guideline, make sure to measure your room and any furniture you plan to bring into it before making a purchase. You should also be aware that dining table dimensions can vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer, so do not assume that all tables that seat four people will have the same size. Even two inches can make a difference if you are considering furnishing a smaller dining room.
Standard Dining Table Height
While tables can have different shapes and sizes, the standard height of a dining table is pretty consistent. To function well, it has to be high enough so that there is enough clearance space above the knees of those who gather round to eat or chat. To be able to dine comfortably the table should not be too high. For that reason, most dining tables are 28 to 30 inches high from floor to table surface.
An informal dining table is often configured to be roughly as high as a kitchen countertop, which is usually about 36 inches high. These tables come in handy in informal eating areas where there isn’t a separate dining room.
Standard Round Table Measurements
A round table creates a cozy atmosphere, making it easy to see and converse with everyone at the table without craning your neck. However, this may not be the best shape if you often entertain a large number of people. While it is easy to see everyone, it is hard to carry on a conversation when you have to shout across a large expanse. A huge round dining room table also might not be the best solution for smaller spaces. Standard dimensions are:
- To seat four people: 36- to 44-inch diameter
- To seat four to six people: 44- to 54-inch diameter
- To seat six to eight people: 54- to 72-inch diameter
Standard Oval Table Measurements
If you only occasionally need to seat many people at your dining table, you may want to use a round table with leaves that give you the flexibility to expand or reduce its size. However, you may also buy an oval dining table if you just like the shape. These can also be suitable for smaller spaces because corners don’t stick out.
- Start with a 36- to 44-inch diameter table and use leaves to extend it
- To seat four to six people: 36-inch diameter (minimum) x 56 inches long
- To seat six to eight-8 people: 36-inch diameter (minimum) x 72 inches long
- To seat 8 to 10 people: 36-inch diameter (minimum) x 84 inches long
Standard Square Table Measurements
A square dining table has many of the same advantages and disadvantages as a round table. Everyone can sit close together for an intimate dinner and conversation. But if you are planning to seat more than four people it is better to buy a square table that extends into a rectangle. Also, square tables are not suitable for narrow dining rooms.
- To seat four people: 36- to 33-inch square
Standard Rectangular Table Measurements
Of all the different table shapes, a rectangular table is the most common choice for dining rooms. Rectangular tables take up the most space but are the best choice whenever larger gatherings are a possibility. A narrow rectangular table may be the most suitable shape for a long, narrow dining room. As with other styles, some rectangular tables come with leaves that allow you the flexibility of changing the length of the table.
- To seat four people: 36 inches wide x 48 inches long
- To seat four to six people: 36 inches wide x 60 inches long
- To seat six to eight people: 36 inches wide x 78 inches long
- What is the average size of most dining rooms?The standard size dining room in the U.S. is 14 by 16 feet or just over 200 square feet. Dining rooms on the bigger end can be 14 by 18 feet to accommodate a formal-size table and china cabinet or buffet.
- How narrow can a dining room table be?The minimum comfortable width for a dining room table, accommodating at least two people, their plates, cutlery, and glassware, is 30 inches. However, it doesn’t leave much space for serving dishes and other table items.
- How much space should you leave around a dining room table?Before buying a table for your dining area, take some measurements and account for 3 feet of clearance on each side of the table. Allowing 3 feet will give ample space to pull out chairs from the table and walk behind seated people.
- How much room does every person need at the table?Each seated person needs a width of 24 inches (from shoulder to shoulder) and about 15 inches in depth for their plate ware.